Monday, March 19, 2012

Interview with Karen Sussman

Karen Sussman, 63, is a Project Director at Jewish Association for Services for the Aged (JASA). She was born in Brooklyn, New York. 


1. How long have you lived in New York?

I've lived in New York all my life!

2. If you're not a native of New York, where did you live before?

I was born here so I'm a native.

3. Where did you go to high school? What kind of student were you in High School? What were your favorite classes/least favorite? What sports and extracurricular activities did you do?


I went to a high school in Queens. Forest Hills High School. I really don't remember what kind of student was I, maybe higher than a C, I was mostly a B or B+ student. I went to high school a really long time ago, I enjoyed History. I didn't like taking language in high school, I took French and Spanish in College. I really disliked the French teacher, he had a thick accent and it was hard for me to understand him. I didn't really stay after school for anything, this really didn't even matter.

4. Did you go to college? Graduate school? If so, where? For how long? What degree(s) did you earn? 
Are you interested in going back to school? If so, what do you plan to study?

Yes, I went to college. I also went to a graduate school, to NYU here in New York, but I just stopped. I probably went to NYU for more than 1 year. I have a degree in my bachelors, T.R. I'm not interested in going back to school at all, not at my age anymore, its too much for me.

5. How did you choose your current occupation?


 I've always worked with people, when I was in college I worked with a Spanish community center. When I came home from College I just decided I wanted to go working with older people. Especially development disabled people.


6. What steps did you take to get this job? How did you learn about it? How many interviews did you have? Was the hiring process difficult, not difficult? If a person were looking for a job at your company, what advice would you offer?

I decided to apply to senior center and nursing home. My background really helped, social service. I learned about JASA through news papers to be honest with you, its a long time. The old director introduced me to the place, it was really with the agency director that I interviewed with. I could say the hiring process wasn't difficult because I was familiar with the community. We don't have any openings but, the advice I would give is, if you're planning to work in a senior center, you have to ve very responsible for everything and you really need to be involved in the work, very active.

7. How long have you worked here? Have you worked in different capacities at this job? What jobs at this company have you done in addition to the one you do now?

 I've worked here for 20 years now. I haven't work in different capacities, I started as a director and I'm still a director. I only do a different job when someone is out, otherwise I always stay as a director.

8. What is your job title and what are the three tasks or responsibilities you do most often?

My job title is Project Director, I order food, make sure there are sufficient volunteers to serve food or to set up chairs and tables, enough bread and silver-wear.

9. Who is your direct supervisor and what is her/his job title? How much do you interact with him/her on a weekly basis? How many people do you supervise?


My direct supervisor is Elene Rockoff, she is a Director of Community Based Programs. Depending on what she wants and what I want, communication is done via email. I supervise about 5 people, 3 kitchen volunteers and 2 in the offices.


10. What are two examples of challenges you face working here?

One of the biggest challenges is the cost of food, that has gone up a lot. Trying to give people nutritions. The Kosher kitchen is a very expensive food, you know. Also, finding volunteers, now days people go to different places. Today we had a person but she left, what kind of person is that.


11. What is the best part of your job?

I enjoy working with people. Is hard but its very rewarding. When they come up to you for help.

12. What is something you would like to change about your job?

Not so much as changing it. But explaining a person what has to be done when by the time they have done it, I would have done it before them. Delegating is very important.

13. Did you work somewhere else before this job? Where? For how long? How was that job similar or different?

Yes, I worked at United Cerebral Palsy of NYC for about 18 years. This job was different than the one I do at JASA. There was more recreation, seniors, teenagers, kids, they were disabled.

14. What do you see as your future at this company? If you plan on changing jobs, what will you do?


 I'll be here probably until I retire -if I make it. Oh, I can't even think about changing jobs. I worked at Macy's when I was a younger. I used to tell everybody I'll work with Home Depot but I don't know anything about it.


15. How do you hope I, a high school intern, can most help your company or organization?

You are helping our organization a lot! With computer work, some of the work of the lunch program, just in general you're available when we need you. Very important to the program.

16. What advice would you give to teenage interns getting ready for college?

GO! It's really important for you to go to school. Even with a bachelors, is difficult to find a job. It's important even for yourself and education is a survival skill that you need and it keeps your mind thinking.


17. What advice would you give to teenage interns preparing to find a career?


Well to me, further education, college, technical is important. We learn more out of school instead of in school but you need a background. Even people with a computer, they need that skill. Education, college, training, its important, young people have no idea to where they are going but its important.


    3 comments:

    1. It's really the same idea of networking. Your supervisor say that the old director introduced her to the place. Take notes Steph, networking is important in finding a job. It's amazing that she worked there for 20 years that's impressive. Keep up the goodwork amiga!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Stephanie, is very interesting how your supervisor read about this job in the newspaper and how she got it. That is very cool.
      Also, her advises about going to college are really important and true as well. I hope you will consider her advises and also learn and experience everything that this internship offers you.
      Enjoy.:)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Stephanie, by this interview I think that your supervisor is really smart and friendly. I think that by having a good attitude she stayed in this job for a long time. Looks like your supervisor enjoys this job a lot because I would not stay in one job for that long. You are really lucky to have a nice supervisor:).

      ReplyDelete