Wednesday, March 14, 2012

First Impression at JASA

My supervisor is Karen Sussman and she is a Project Director. She shares an office with her co-worker Marina. Karen is very friendly, smart, loud, talkative, professional, and wonderful. I am interning at JASA Shorefront Senior Center, there's a huge space and is filled with several chairs and tables, there are also two small offices with white walls and a kitchen, JASA is located next to the beach so is not too noisy. I'm sure lots of people work at this center but so far I've only seen about 15 people. My working place is very peaceful and quiet. Except that by 3 o'clock, kids arrive to Shorefront to start their after school program so it gets pretty noisy for a while. Most of the time when I arrive to my internship, there is a man mopping the floor and then two other men set up the chairs and tables for the seniors. So far I've done, silver-ware packing, make lunch bags for seniors when they go on trips, putting wheat bread in a separate bag each, make copies of guests sheets, and naming the next day's activities, for example citizenship, exercise, dance, talent show, singing and a lot more. I always arrive JASA at around 1:30pm and finish at 4-4:30pm. Usually I'm home by 4:50pm. I really enjoy my internship and the one person I really like at JASA is Lorena, she is a very funny and friendly Haitian. She works at JASA's kitchen and you'll always see her dancing to Spanish music while doing her duties because she is trying to lose weight.

2 comments:

  1. Are you located in the Shorefront Y building? If so, that's the same place that Loumia, Loudmia, Kimberly, and Sean intern two days a week.

    It sounds like you are being utilized each day there and taking care of a lot. Do you know how this work was done before you began your internship? I'm curious if they had an employee who did that work before you.

    I'm glad you're having fun with Lorena and it's great to hear that she likes dancing as a way to lose weight - very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence! I was shocked when you told me you work at ShorefrontY. kimmy, loumia and me even thought it was a different place because we didn't know if there were other program. It was great seeing you in your way out from shorefrontY on wednesday. You wrote an amazing blog! :). I hope we see each other more often!

    ReplyDelete