Monday, April 16, 2012

Mid-Point Reflection

These are part of the activities that seniors do at JASA. I've only seen some of the activities being done. For example, having lunch, exercise, bingo and much more. 

I work in a Senior Center called JASA at Brighton Beach. This organization offers many different classes like citizenship, exercise, current events and many more for people over 60 years old. There would be many consequences if this organization closes down, the seniors won't be able to stay active and especially the ones that live alone, there would be no one to feed and take care of them. This is a Jewish Senior Center but I haven't seen any Jewish at all, most of the participants are Russians. My internship workplace is very different from IHSL, JASA is very quiet and most workers are adults, I think I'm the youngest volunteer there. This internship was totally what I was expecting after the interview with my mentor. My job is very easy and has no deadlines at all so I can take my time to do my assignments. Karen is such a wonderful mentor that always understands me, my relationship with her is very nice even though we don't interact a lot. She is always busy ordering food or making the week's menu. I was attending internship during the Spring Break, there were so many challenges. I was interacting with the seniors a lot during lunch time. JASA is a Kosher Kitchen so I didn't know that seniors were not allowed to put milk on the tables. I learned few other things about this senior center during this past week. My schedule is normally from 1:30pm to 4/4:30pm and it only takes me about 10 minutes to get home so I haven't had any trouble getting my school work done or at least not yet. I use the bus to get to my internship but its very stressful having to wait for about 20 minutes for a bus that is full of passengers and arriving late to internship sometimes. Time goes by really fast, I'm hoping to be able to interact with adults in a much clear way and pass this semester without failing any class due to internship. I work in front of my mentor's office so most of the time I'm by myself finishing my duties up. I don't think that my communication skills have grown that much.


5 comments:

  1. Nice, do you know all kosher food don’t consist pork in nutrition? Independently work on assignments, which gives experience to carry out their. Sounds good you worked over the break that shows how you were busy by time. Okay, well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your internship is sounds really great! I think you are going to learn a lot of experience since you are work with an adults in your internship. and it really good that you enough time to do work.Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like you like you internship a lot. That good you are working with Adults people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie, your internship seems very interesting and very helpful for the community as well. I'm glad that you got an internship exactly what you expected and I'm glad that you have a mentor that understands you because that's very helpful and it makes it easier for you to work there. Work hard because it pays off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie, I think that your internship is really good. I hope that this center stays open because it will be hard for all the senior. It's really good that you have enough time to go to internship and do your school work at the same time.
    You are doing a really good job. Keep it up.:)

    ReplyDelete